Thursday, July 19, 2007

Jano our Musselman-o!


Geneva, NY, July 15
Posted by Janet
Musselman 1.2 swim, 56 bike 13.1 run

Thank you girls for the congrats on my Musselman 1/2 iron. It actually was not as bad as I thought it would be! I highly recommend it - you girls could survive the mini-mussel 500 yd. swim, 15 bike 3.1 run) easy, even swim was mostly shallow and only 500 yards my husband Hans did his first tri and he is not a good swimmer. He did say it was a bit scary there were 1/2 foot waves (they have a novice wave start which is nice) Geneva is a great place and Lakeland Park ideal to hang out.




Saturday was the mini-mussel and it was fun to observe as a non-participant. Transition area is very entertaining and is
always fun to see people and how they transition from swim to bike and bike to run. There were even two 14 year old girls doing it with incredible times that would whop my butt. Every year the entrants get younger and younger and there are more of them. There was also a professional Olympic distant triathlon (0.9 swim, 26 bike 6 run) in afternoon that alone was worth the trip to watch. They are alowd to draft and in a crit like loop (8 miles) so you can watch the excitment. The transitions are FAST and put me to shame! These guys just hop out of water run to the bike shoes already in clips and off they go. There was 20,000 in prize $$ and qualifier for bejing olympics. This all took place right outside the Ramada where we were staying.


My tri start was following morning at 7am and there was concern of thunderstorms and talk of canceling swim and doing running course twice! I did not train for marathon. Luck held out and my start (first wave was old ladies and men!) with 4 minutes intervals for next 4 waves.



Two laps of a .64 mile triangle with 6 bouys (please don't let me get lost) for a 1.2 mile swim. Wetsuits aloud and boy there were rolling waves and lots of swallowed water and a few people holding on to Kayaks which were safe guarding course-these guys were great. Sun in eyes on turn-around and I saw some green caps passing me I was pink (the really good guys) I made it out in 46:00ish minutes, transition OK (yes, Kate, I did my cowboy hop onto my steed (sp?) beautifully to a gasping crowd....) course beautiful.




The thing about being in first wave you have a wee bit advantage if you are good swimmer so not many bikes left transition yet but boy did hundreds catch up and pass me the next 1/2 hour....nasty headwind last 15 miles and people were moaning *&^&*(^% FINALLY off bike onto run I got to wee, quick portabottie. Oh yes, I did not pee on the bike like a girl in front of me... "shit! that is not water but pee spraying!"


Janet waving to adoring fans.

Run was beautiful also and got mike running legs after 3 miles. Run my worse event but did OK lots of great volunteers and stops and finished with a respectable 6:50 time. there were about 600 in this event.

Lars had the best event and MOST entertaining to watch a total of 100 kids in 2 starts age 6-10 and 11-14. 6-10 year olds(25 yd shum, 2 mile bike .25 run) These kids had most fun, and there nerves disappeared once they ran around swim bouys (it is called a sh-wum instead of swim cause its very shallow) Lars age 9 was 2nd out of water and slow on transition those darn wet socks...off onto bike back second but he tossed bike oops! Off on run, forgot to take helmet off but tossed that a bit later and finished second The kids get to go through the actual finish shoot. He was very excited as I since he has some foot issues. Great shwag for kids, everyone wins and gets a real nice medal.

These 1300-plus tri-athletes are so darn nice and always giving tips, advice to anyone who will listen, much fun!

Tinman (lady)
Jano

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home